Thursday, July 14, 2011

Hunny Buns(HB) scored some KILLER DEALS!!

My darling husband has started me on this craze to complete my mirrored furniture collection ever since he gifted me with my first piece on our wedding day....the gorgeous three drawer borghese dresser. From there we found our coffee table and side table on craigslist and bargained our way down to an incredible price.

Fast forward to a few week later and Brett scored the deal of the century on some furniture that definitely need/ed our help but were things that couldn't be passed up.

So here is how it happened...a few months ago my mom sent me an email saying that one of our favorite "kitchy" stores was going out of business, Mainly Seconds on Tustin Avenue in Orange.


As the weeks passed the deals going on in that store kept getting better and better...I happened to stop by the week before the closing to find bare shelves and whole lot of broken furniture leftovers. I briefly perused the aisles until I came to the glorious mirrored furniture corner where just about everything was held together by saran wrap and tape. There I saw a gorgeous six drawer hutch, that was missing two drawers and all of the knobs...marked for $299 with 60% off. I tried bargaining with the salesperson but with no luck I walked out of the store empty handed. The following week I called the store to see when their last day of business was and just about flipped when they said they were closing their doors for good in ONE HOUR!!! I immediately called Brett to see if he could run over and just browse through the leftovers to see if there was ANYTHING that could be salvaged at a good price.

And here is where he hit the HOME RUN...he scored not ONE but TWO mirrored pieces for TWENTY FIVE DOLLARS!!! I KID YOU NOT!!! $12.50 per piece!! I just about fell out of my chair when he told me that!! He purchased the six drawer hutch and a side table that has a small broken piece of glass in one corner but other than that its perfect!!


As you can see I filled the two spaces where the drawers are missing with beautiful crystal candle holders and replaced the knobs with some floral ones I found at Home Goods for $5. (Pardon the tool box and project to be of reconstructing the vintage chandelier on the floor)



And then we have the side table...I tried to get a close up of the crack...it won't cost much to have the mirror replaced thankfully :) I'm going to paint the white part gold to match the rest of the furniture.



And then just a few (poor quality camera phone) pictures to show you the three drawer and matching Borghese side table in our room. Things are finally starting to come together in our little PB&J apartment :)




More than anything I would LOVE to paint the walls and hang curtains etc etc...but I just have to keep thinking "this is not your FOREVER home....just temporary....you will soon have a house where HB will let you decorate your little heart out!!!"

Update: Scored HUGE savings at Joannes fabrics with an online coupon and digging through the last call bin...found the fabric for the headboard!! Can't spill anymore than that though :) STAY TUNED!!


XOXO,

Mrs. S


No comments:

Post a Comment