Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Recycled Resourcefulness: The Art of Making Something Old...NEW!

So my adorable Husbunny and I moved into an apartment a month ago and have been spending double duty trying to make it a very chic form of "us". I have to commend my husband for all of his hard work...installing chandeliers, dusting Tiffany's boxes and dealing with me rearranging three vases for 45 minutes until I placed them in the same exact position they started in. He takes my neurotocism (is that a word?...just spell checked and no it's not but just work with me here) with stride.

Let me begin by describing our apartment and the owner of this lovely multi family unit. His name is Art and he is ancient...and utterly adorable. He and his wife live down the street in a very nice neighborhood and collect...EVERYTHING. The apartment is a one bedroom stuck in the middle of two, two story apartments...so basically we are the PB&J between two glorious pieces of Wonderbread. The apartment is fairly dark with dark beige carpets, old appliances, no lights in the bedroom and a nasty bathroom...BUT it's ours. Our goal in finding an apartment was to find something live-able until we can buy something...HOPEFULLY within the year. The patio is large and overlooks a CVS parking lot but if you look straight out all you can see are trees and mountains...and we have an incredible breeze.

I wish I had taken "before" pictures of the apartment so you could get an idea of what we started with. It took a lot of elbow grease to clean the place up but it's in pretty good shape now.

NOW...to get to my post!!!

The prior renters left us an assortment of children's toys under the oven and an old two drawer filing cabinet full of band aids (EEEW!) and old rusty hangers. I mean obviously those should be stored together...Rust and Band aids go hand in hand, right?!? So, I had this GENIUS idea the other night to turn our drab patio into an island oasis.... Minus the water and minus the sand...OKAY just an oasis! In order to do so we needed Plants...and lots of them! But...I didn't want to spend the money on some gorgeous pots I had my eye on at Home Goods...so I did what an domestic goddess would do...ILL MAKE MY OWN PLANTER!!

Hooray for the leftover Filing Cabinet!!! I cleaned that bad boy out last night (gag!), spent $30 at home depot and purchased, 6 ivy plants, 2 lavender plants, 6 containers of moss, and some other flowers I cant remember their names, plus soil and 2 cans of spray paint.


Well...this idea in my mind is a grand one and I have yet to make it so I will update as soon as it's made and let you know how it goes WITH before and after photos!!!...wish me LUCK little lovies!!

XOXO,

Mrs. S

1 comment: